In client-relationship management (CRM) software, intuitive user management is imperative for a fast and nimble sales organizations. To ensure we are focusing on the right experience for our users, we engaged in a research and design project to help scope upcoming efforts.
Over the years, the Salesforce Platform has generated a massive number of features to address a number of user management methods for various business needs. However, this approach has created a bloated experience that makes it nearly impossible to use without extensive training.
Our goal was to focus on a small number of problems that a Salesforce Administrator faces when managing users and create and extremely powerful tool to address each.
We first stared with a heavy focus on the problems our admins faced, and over time we wanted to test solutions that would solve these problems.
Our milestones started with lightweight discovery, leading to higher fidelity deliverables.
With the help of our stakeholders, we generated an exhaustive list of issues that this project could potentially solve. Though this exercise felt daunting at first, it helped us understand the problem space we were working within before spending too much time on solutions.
Based on these problems, we searched for evidence of these issues using surveys, one-on-one interviews and observations, as well as customer-generated ideas.
Throughout the research, I focused on visually representing the issues (aka opportunities) we were hearing from our users. The goal of these visuals was to demonstrate the project scope over time and facilitate conversations.
At the same time as I documented the issues, I also sketched solutions to these user issues at the same time.
To facilitate conversations with stakeholders, I refined these sketches into “Opportunity Cards,” which could be easily rearranged, marked up, and discarded as the project progressed.
Once we completed our research and synthesized the user data, we added evidence to our original list of problems. We were able to combine or eliminate many opportunities based on our user data.
As we presented our research findings, we added additional context to both the design opportunities and organizational hurdles. These meetings were instrumental to reorganizing product vision.
Bumping up fidelity of the sketches, we organized wireframes into a typical user management scenario and presented them to our stakeholders and users.
To check how well we communicated the needs of our users we used the opportunity cards to understand stakeholder interest in each remain problem and how effective they believe the designs were in addressing them.
Based on this feedback, we identified the top opportunities we wanted to address in the design and highlighted these solutions first in the experience.
Based on our research, we found that one of the top issues was just being able to understand how all the different permissions on a user’s profile added up into a single experience. This video shows all the various screens and information a user would need to parse and remember before comparing it to another profile.
Here we show how object permissions and field level security permissions are combined, as well as a new method or comparing one profile to another one. In addition to improving existing profile pages, we also created new features such as user templates, advanced querying functionality, and redesigned user detail pages. Please reach out if you would like to see the full prototype.